The annual Front Line Defenders Award was created in 2005 to honour the work of HRDs who courageously contribute significantly to the promotion and protection of the human rights of others, often risking their own lives. The Award promotes national and international attention to the work of HRDs, strengthening their visibility to speak out and defend their work.
One winner will be selected for each of the 5 regions of the world (Africa, the Americas, Asia-Pacific, Europe and Central Asia and the Middle East and North Africa) and, of these 5 nominations, one will be chosen as a global winner.
The nomination process is open to anyone wishing to nominate a human rights defender, collective, organisation or community working in any field of human rights, whose work carries significant risks or operates in a context characterised by insecurity. The purpose of this Award is to give visibility to HRDs who are not normally thanked or recognized for their work at the international level. The Award should not entail additional risks for which the HRD is not prepared. In addition to the Award, the winners will receive:
- a modest financial reward;
- a subsidy to improve their security measures;
- the support of Front Line Defenders with visibility actions and media in recognition of the Prize;
- advocacy actions by Front Line Defenders related to the Award and the work of the winners;
- an event in the countries of the prizewinners co-organised by the HRD, local partners and Front Line Defenders to give visibility to the Award (in the way they determine and decide);
- the global winner will attend a ceremony in Dublin on 15 May 2019;
- the 5 winners will attend a ceremony and public presentation in the United States (exact schedule to be determined);
- continued safety and security advice from Front Line Defenders
Applications must be submitted via the secure online form. If you have any problems filling in the form, or have any questions, please contact: email@example.com
Please note that:
- Incomplete nominations will not be considered. Please complete the entire nomination form and provide all requested information.
- Nominations may be submitted by organizations or individuals.
- They can be made in English, Spanish, French, Russian, Arabic and Farsi. Nominations will also be accepted in Chinese and Portuguese through the nomination forms in English and Spanish, respectively.
- Nominees must not play a prominent role in a political party and must be currently active in human rights work (the Front Line Defenders Award is not intended to recognize a historical or posthumous contribution).
- They must be active human rights defenders and cannot be in exile.
- Self-nomination is not possible.
- The number of nominations received by the HRD or the organisation will not be taken into account when evaluating candidates.
- All nominations must be accompanied by 2 references.
Deadline for submission of applications: 6 January 2020
For more information visit the official site Here